When it comes to renting out a property, it`s important to have a proper agreement in place to protect both the landlord and the tenant. A leave and licence agreement is a legal document that outlines the terms and conditions of a rental agreement between a landlord and a tenant. If you`re a landlord, it`s crucial to have a well-drafted leave and licence agreement to ensure a smooth tenancy.
Here`s a sample copy of a leave and licence agreement to help you get started:
Leave and Licence Agreement
This Leave and Licence Agreement (hereinafter referred to as “Agreement”) is made and entered into on ___ (date) between ___ (name of landlord), residing at ___ (address of landlord) (hereinafter referred to as the “Licensor”), and ___ (name of the tenant), residing at ___ (address of tenant), (hereinafter referred to as the “Licensee”).
1. The Licensor hereby agrees to licence and the Licensee hereby agrees to take on licence the premises described as ___ (address of property) (hereinafter referred to as the “Premises”) for the purpose of residential use only.
2. The term of this Agreement shall be for ___ (duration of tenancy) commencing from ___ (start date) and expiring on ___ (end date).
3. The Licensee shall pay a monthly licence fee of ___ (amount in figures) (amount in words) to the Licensor. This payment shall be made on or before ___ (due date) of every month.
4. The Licensee shall be responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of the Premises and shall keep it in a clean and orderly condition. The Licensor shall inspect the Premises at regular intervals to ensure its upkeep.
5. The Licensee shall not cause any damage to the Premises and shall be liable for any damages sustained to the Premises during the tenancy.
6. The Licensee shall not sublet the Premises to any third party without the prior written consent of the Licensor.
7. The Licensor shall be entitled to terminate this Agreement if the Licensee breaches any of the terms and conditions of this Agreement.
8. The Licensee shall vacate the Premises at the expiration or termination of this Agreement and shall return the Premises in the same condition as it was received, subject to reasonable wear and tear.
9. This Agreement shall be binding upon and inure to the benefit of the parties hereto, their heirs, personal representatives, successors and assigns.
10. This Agreement contains the entire understanding between the parties and supersedes all prior discussions, negotiations and agreements between them.
11. This Agreement shall be construed and enforced in accordance with the laws of the ___ (state/country).
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the parties have executed this Agreement on the date and year first above written.
Licensor`s signature: _______________________
Licensee`s signature: _______________________
As a professional, I encourage landlords to get a legal expert to review this sample copy of leave and licence agreement before use. This will ensure that the agreement complies with all the relevant laws and regulations. A well-drafted leave and licence agreement can help landlords avoid any legal disputes with tenants, and it can help tenants understand their rights and responsibilities during the tenancy.